When searching for a PCB manufacturer to make PCBs, you need to have the correct information. For instance, you need to know the types of PCBs available and the manufacturing process.
There are single-layer PCBs, multilayer PCBs, rigid, and rigid-flex. But before you select one, research to make sure you have made the right decision.
Below are helpful tips about multi-player PCBs and the manufacturing process.
What are Multilayer PCBs?
- 1 What are Multilayer PCBs?
- 2 Advantages of multilayer PCB
- 3 Disadvantages of multilayer PCBs
- 4 Multilayer PCB Material Used
- 5 The Multilayer PCB Manufacturing Process
- 6 1. Designing the CAD model
- 7 2. Finding multilayer PCB manufacturer
- 8 3. Manufacturing a multilayer PCB
- 9 4. Multilayer PCB testing
- 10 Application of Multilayer PCB
- 11 1. Consumer goods
- 12 2. Medical devices
- 13 3. Telecommunication systems
- 14 4. Other applications
- 15 Multilayer PCBs – PadPCB’s PCB Manufacturing Capabilities
- 16 Related
Multilayer PCB has three or more layers of copper foil insulated from each other and then joined together to form a single piece.
But depending on the project’s requirements, up to 100 layers can be incorporated in a single multilayer PCB. But for standard electronic products such as smartphones, the PCB can be equipped with 4 to 12 layers.
Nowadays, multilayer PCBs are used in almost every electronic product. Compared to other PCBs, multilayer PCBs come with numerous benefits.
They are lightweight, small in size, high durability, more power in a small package, and pre-assembled.
Multilayer is rigid PCBs since it is hard to manufacture flexible multilayer PCBs. Hence, they are used in many products such as consumer goods, signal transmission systems, medical systems, and many others.
Advantages of multilayer PCB
- Small size – the main advantage of multilayer PCB is its small size. Hence, electrical devices are updating their models and becoming compact and slim.
- High durability – since PCBs are designed by professionals, they are highly advanced and precise.
- Lightweight – since multilayer PCBs are small-sized, they are also lightweight.
Disadvantages of multilayer PCBs
- Increased manufacturing time – compared to single-layer PCBs, multilayer PCBs need more manufacturing time.
- Professional designers are needed – designing a multilayer PCB is not easy. You need to engage professionals for a layout.
- High manufacturing costs – the main disadvantage of multilayer PCB is the high manufacturing cost.
Multilayer PCB Material Used
It is also important to know how multilayer PCBs are created. This is because the process might be different from other PCB types.
Multilayer PCBs are used in the military, medical, telecommunication, and other complex devices.
Prepreg and core materials are joined together and subjected to high pressure to remove trapped air between the layers.
Another material used is resin. It is used to cover conductors around the corners. The adhesive material is also used to stick different layers.
The Multilayer PCB Manufacturing Process
Below are the main steps to manufacture a multilayer PCB from scratch.
1. Designing the CAD model
The first step is to design a multilayer PCB software model. Happily, there are many tools you can use to design the PCB layout.
Since multilayer PCBs are a bit complex, professional designers are needed. But once the layout is ready, the next step is to look for a multilayer PCB designer.
2. Finding multilayer PCB manufacturer
Another critical step in the multilayer PCB manufacturing process is getting a reliable manufacturer. Happily, there are various PCB manufacturers online.
But there are several factors to check, including the maximum number of layers, layer thickness, drill sizes, and via styles.
3. Manufacturing a multilayer PCB
To manufacture a multilayer PCB, prepreg and core materials are combined and then subjected to high pressure and temperature to eliminate any trapped air between the layers, then remove the extra material with cnc machining or laser cutting.
It is also possible to select materials from various combinations such as exotic ceramic, Teflon, and epoxy glass.
4. Multilayer PCB testing
After the PCB manufacturing is complete, the next step is testing and verifying the multilayer PCB. The step helps you identify some errors in the manufacturing. The step will also ensure the PCB is of excellent standards.
Application of Multilayer PCB
Today, multilayer PCBs have become a vital requirement of most electrical products. It is a PCB type that has found its way in many sectors. Some of the applications of multilayer PCB include:
1. Consumer goods
Most consumer goods have become lightweight, smaller, and more functional because of multilayer PBCs.
Some consumer goods designed using PCBs include mobile phones, computers, microwaves, shaving machines, and home automated systems.
2. Medical devices
Today, it is possible to find small and lightweight medical gadgets. Most of these devices contain multilayer PCB in them.
Some examples include ECG devices, heart rate monitors, blood pressure monitors, and blood sugar monitoring.
3. Telecommunication systems
Data transmission plays a significant role in day-to-day life. Due to their increased functionality, most of them contain multilayer PCBs.
Some telecommunication devices containing PCBs include mobile transmission systems, radar systems, broadcasting systems, and signal transmission systems.
4. Other applications
Other applications of multilayer PCBs include GPS technology, file servers, fiber optic receptors, X-ray equipment, and atomic accelerators.
Multilayer PCBs – PadPCB’s PCB Manufacturing Capabilities
PadPCB has established itself as the leading manufacturer in the PCB manufacturing industry. It provides PCB manufacturing and assembly services all over the world.
The company provides low-cost and affordable multilayer PCB manufacturing. All you need is to contact them today to get a quote.