Nano electronics is the field of electronics which deals with the study, application and development of devices on the Nano scale (lesser than 100 nm). This field is one of the most interesting fields of electronics as its purpose is to make the tiniest device and it’s concerned with the design and fabrication of electrical components that lies on the Nano scale.
Nano electronics serves a very important purpose which is to break the limitations of devices which cannot be further innovated or revolutionized due to their bigger sizes. Researchers try to make devices on Nano scale to make efficient, faster and powerful electronic devices which can further help us in computing or healthcare and so on.
Some commons devices that are made through Nano technology are transistors and sensors.
Before we get to the endless innovations of this field let’s get to know as to why this field is important for us and what its uses are.
USES AND IMPORTANCE OF NANO ELECTRONICS:
1. ELECTRONICS: One of the most common uses of this field is in electronics like mobile phones and laptops.
2. TRANSPORTATION: An uncommon use is the use of Nano electronics in transportation, it’s important because it has the capability to improve the safety and efficiency of transportation, by using Nano sensors, detection and a response could be generated in real time to bad traffic and weather conditions so accidents could be avoided.
3. ENVIRONMENT: A lot of environmental problems like air pollution or water contamination could be fixed by solutions derived from Nano technology. It could also be integrated into such systems that can detect changes in environment which could avoid environmental hazards.
4. BIOMEDICAL APPLICATION: Nano sensors could be used for the early detection of cancerous cells and for the drug delivery to specific cells of the body.
5. ENERGY: It can improve energy efficiency and reduce the waste by different industries as well as reducing the reliance on fossil fuels.
Let us talk some of the latest innovations in Nano electronics:
1. FLEXIBLE ELECTRONICS:
Flexible electronics as the name suggests are electrical components that are flexible they can be bent or they can be stretched without breaking. By Using Nano electronics these devices lead to the development of new, efficient and more powerful wearable devices.
2. 3D (3 DIMENSIONAL) INTEGRATION:
3D integration improves the efficiency and performance of electronic devices; it also allows stacking of multiple chips on top of each other to create an efficient and powerful system.
3. 2D MATERIALS:
Researchers use 2D materials like graphene to make even better more efficient, smaller and powerful electronic components like solar cells, electrodes, transistors and so on.
4. NEUROMORPHIC COMPUTING:
Neuromorphic computing is a method of computer engineering modeled after a human brain and nervous system. Scientists are developing Nano scale devices which can give us devices that have mimic human intelligence and give us better and intelligent computing systems.
5. CARBON NANOTUBES:
These have great electrical conductivity as well as mechanical strength and have a great use in mechanical field as targeted drug delivery and regeneration of nerve cells.
Nano technology provides tools and techniques to design and fabricate the Nano scale components that are needed in the making of terahertz devices. These devices operate at terahertz frequencies and are capable to enhance the efficiency of imaging, sensing and communication.
7. NANOPORE SEQUENCING:
This method is used to analyze DNA and RNA bases. By this method researchers can develop faster and accurate DNA analysis.
Spintronics is a new type of technology which uses spin of electrons to process information. This technology has the potential to enable faster data processing and data storage.
Nano photonics is a field that combines nanotechnology and photonics to manipulate light at Nano scale, it can enable us faster and efficient data transfer and communication.
Scientists have developed and are developing tiny robots that can perform at the Nano scale, these robots having potential to detect cancerous cells and they can also help in drug delivery to specific parts of the body.
11. NANOSENSORS FOR ENVIRONMENTAL MONITORING:
Nano sensors are highly sensitive devices and can be easily integrated into environmental monitoring systems which will be able to detect the slightest changes in the environment like pollutant or other hazards. Because of these sensors we will be already warned by any hazard and will be able to take action to avoid accidents.
These are just few of the innovations that are seen in the field of Nano electronics as research continues we will be able to see even better and exciting innovations in the near future.